Communications leader with left brain strategy and right brain vision
Strategic, creative professional enhancing how words, pictures, graphics and video are utilized to increase multi-platform engagement and organizational support. Experience includes conceptualizing and executing multi-layered communication strategies resulting in increased constituent support and bi-partisan passage of state laws. Adaptable and transformative leader who changed workplace culture, built high functioning teams and developed opportunities increasing organizational presence.
Shoot news, events, fashion and headshots. Edit using Adobe Photoshop CS6 and Aperture 3.
Script, shoot and edit short and long form video. Edit using Adobe Premiere Pro CS6.
Design publications, logos, brochures, advertisements and fliers using Adobe Photoshop CS6, Adobe InDesign CS6 and Adobe Illustrator CS6.
Write and edit journalism-style stories, op-eds, letters to the editor, speeches, press releases, media statements, newsletters and e-marketing materials.
Experienced using Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Google+, Instagram and YouTube for business.
Used WordPress & Drupal to manage website content.
Proficient in MailChimp, Constant Contact and Listrak for e-marketing efforts.
Used Google Analytics, Chartbeat & ShareRocket to analyze website traffic & social media progress.
Finalist, Best Website
Florida Associated Press Broadcasters
Grand Polaris Award (outstanding service to organization)
Iota Phi Theta Fraternity, Inc.
First Place, News Enterprise
North Carolina Press Association
O. Henry Award (outstanding newspaper writing)
North Carolina Associated Press
Poynter-NABJ Leadership Academy for Diversity in Digital Media
ASNE Emerging Leaders Institute
B.A. in Communications with a concentration in journalism
Fairleigh Dickinson University
Senior Digital Producer
10News WTSP | St. Petersburg, Fla.
July 2017 to Present
Efforts managing nightside operations improved team workflow, increased collaboration between departments and enhanced content quality.
- Conceptualized and launched daily e-newsletter to build viewer loyalty.
- Created and launched #sendto10 campaign to increase viewer submitted content. Efforts included collaborating with multiple departments to create a promotions strategy for broadcast and social media.
- Co-authored strategy to increase reporter and anchor social media engagement to increase participation and drive traffic to station’s monetized digital properties.
- Created video content strategy focused on utilizing original digital-only franchises to increase social engagement and website traffic.
- Revived station’s YouTube account to increase digital revenue. Efforts resulted in more than 500 percent increase in subscribers within past six months.
- Produced photo galleries and video packages from the region’s biggest events:
- Created original digital packages:
- Designed posters that increased station’s social media engagement:
- Increased urgency in distributing breaking news content. Efforts resulted in station often being first in pushing out updates.
- Enhanced quality of digital and social content by increasing communication between digital team and reporters.
- Project manager for digital major event coverage, including the NHL playoffs, Skyway 10K and Gasparilla.
Digital Content Director
WINK News | Fort Myers, Fla.
July 2015 to July 2017
Conceptualized and executed a multi-platform strategy catapulting station to digital and social media dominance.
- Grew station into dominant social media engagement leader through strategic use of creative materials, emphasizing importance of responding to social messages and comments, increasing reporter and anchor use of social media and enhancing how posts are written. Also started station’s Instagram account, which grew to over 12,000 followers in less than a year and became market’s top news account.
- Created station’s social media policy outlining standards, best practices and tips for success.
- Created SOP guide outlining team expectations, strategies and best practices.
- Created daily photo galleries and video packages from the 2016 Democratic and Republican national conventions:
- Redesigned station’s mobile app and website, which was ‘Best Website’ finalist from the Florida AP Broadcasters. Overall page views increased by 84 percent and users by 88 percent since redesign.
- Enhanced online story presentation, from creating breaking news timeline format to incorporating social media posts, documents and photo galleries into stories.
- Hired and molded digital team into viable online journalists through mentoring, one-on-one instruction and setting high expectations.
- Fostered collaborative culture where reporters and producers regularly communicated with the digital team and digital was integrated into all station initiatives.
Night Web Editor/Online Multimedia Journalist
WRAL News | Raleigh, N.C.
Dec. 2013 to July 2015
Sole web editor during evening high traffic hours for one of the nation’s top local television news websites.
- Managed and created web and social media content as lead night web editor, including updating and writing stories and blogs, posting video and pictures, writing headlines, deciding homepage story placement and adding content to the station’s social media accounts under little supervision.
- Created in-depth and creative text and multimedia stories to drive traffic to website:
- Worked closely with television reporters, producers and assignment editors to share information, determine story content and coordinate television promotion of web stories.
Director of Communications
Parents for Educational Freedom in North Carolina | Raleigh, N.C.
Feb. 2011 to Dec. 2013
Created and executed strategic communications plans galvanizing community and legislative support for parental school choice and growing organization into a national education leader. Efforts were critical in passage of four historic pieces of education legislation.
- Created and executed a communications strategy that included press releases, op-eds, letters to the editor, video series and obtaining earned media coverage for organization events across the state. Also ghostwrote items for legislators and community leaders.
- Helped keep organization in the daily news cycle by creating media opportunities for organization president to speak on subject-related matters.
- Prepped president for media opportunities by creating talking points and going over anticipated questions.
- Wrote and co-researched a first-of-its-kind report analyzing private school tuition across the state. Document was influential in the passage of the state’s first opportunity scholarship program.
- Designed and launched weekly e-newsletter to keep parents, supporters, legislators and media engaged in organization’s efforts.
- Efforts resulted in over 1,000 earned media mentions in print, television and radio nationwide.
- Created a video, which was compared to a major movie, that was key in the organization’s successful efforts to eliminate the state’s public charter school cap:
- Created and produced organization’s Parent Stories series, which featured parents sharing their parental school choice experiences or explaining their desire for such.
- Wrote radio scripts and designed half and full-page newspaper advertisements.
- Shot photos that were prominently featured in national publications highlighting parental school choice efforts, including one used as a cover photo.
- Mentored communications associate.
- Advised legislators and community leaders on best responses to media requests.
- Trained staff and volunteers on best responses to community questions.
- Improved system of how organization responds to media inquiries.
Director of Communications
Iota Phi Theta Fraternity, Inc. | Baltimore, Md.
Sept. 2009 to June 2012
Created communications department for international non-profit organization and was Editor-in-Chief of organization magazine.
- Oversaw crisis communications during incident that received national coverage. Efforts mitigated negative press.
- Designed and launched Beyond the Shield monthly e-newsletter to keep members engaged in organization’s efforts.
- Established fraternity’s official social media channels.
- Advised organization leaders on how to best respond to internal and external situations.
- Redesigned fraternity’s Centaur Magazine to modern publication standards, including creating a style guide, enhancing quality of submitted materials and increasing publication size to 50+ pages.
The News & Observer | Raleigh, N.C.
March 2005 to Nov. 2010
Wrote briefs, news and feature stories about crime and education in one of North Carolina’s largest cities.
- Reported in-depth stories, including two police officers’ illegal interactions with a prostitute, a police department wasting money on a neighborhood surveillance program and how public school cafeterias contradicted their purpose by increasing junk food sales to stay afloat.
- Developed strong relationships with police department known for being anti-media.
- Complemented by readers and sources for detailed and accurate reporting and writing.
- Blogged local news happenings and sent online breaking news updates.
- Pictures often used as main photo for paper's Durham section.
- Handled multiple news assignments simultaneously and always met deadlines.
The Daily Reflector | Greenville, N.C.
May 2003 to March 2005
Wrote briefs, news and feature stories focusing on crime in rural North Carolina.
- Earned two first place state awards for a story about a homicide and how it affected the families of the victim and suspect.
- Wrote in-depth pieces about domestic violence in the black community and the small town police beat.
Thank you for taking time to understand how Stan become a strategic, creative professional enhancing how words, pictures, graphics and video are utilized to increase multi-platform engagement and organizational support.