Transformative content leader with left brain strategy and right brain vision
Forward thinking, modern storyteller with expert-level experience utilizing digital and social content to increase multi-platform engagement and organizational support.
Experience includes conceptualizing and executing multi-faceted communication and marketing strategies resulting in bi-partisan passage of state laws.
Adaptable and transformative leader who enhanced workplace culture and created high functioning teams with exceptional verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
Shoot news, events, fashion and headshots. Edit using Adobe Photoshop CS6 and Aperture 3.
Script, shoot and edit short and long form video. Edit using Adobe Premiere Pro CS6.
Design publications, logos, brochures, advertisements and fliers using Adobe Photoshop CS6, Adobe InDesign CS6 and Adobe Illustrator CS6.
Write and edit journalism-style stories, op-eds, letters to the editor, speeches, press releases, media statements, newsletters and e-marketing materials.
Experienced using Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Google+, Instagram and YouTube for business.
Used WordPress & Drupal to manage website content.
Proficient in MailChimp, Constant Contact and Listrak for e-marketing efforts.
Used Google Analytics, Chartbeat & ShareRocket to analyze website traffic & social media progress.
Finalist, Best Website
Florida Associated Press Broadcasters
Grand Polaris Award (outstanding service to organization)
Iota Phi Theta Fraternity, Inc.
First Place, News Enterprise
North Carolina Press Association
O. Henry Award (outstanding newspaper writing)
North Carolina Associated Press
Poynter-NABJ Leadership Academy for Diversity in Digital Media
ASNE Emerging Leaders Institute
B.A. in Communications with a concentration in journalism
Fairleigh Dickinson University
Straightaway | Morrisville, N.C.
June 2018 to Present
Executing aggressive project plan for new health professional website, going from conception to launch in two months. (Temp position)
• Designed website and created website copy.
• Created and launched website landing page.
• Established brand guide for website, including colors, fonts, icons, and voice.
• Created flier for out-of-state video shoot.
• Manage three writers, including assigning 30+ stories, enforcing deadlines, and editing each piece.
• Arranged SEO workshop to improve organic search of articles.
• Organized interviews from multiple video shoots into individual topics to help improve website SEO.
• Determine direction of creative assets, including a multi-level infographic.
• Creating outline for email marketing campaign following website launch.
• Created and executed multiple Facebook ad campaigns to promote website and acquire participants for video shoots.
• Manage website developer, including ensuring deadlines are met, brand guidelines are maintained, and asset requests are completed.
• Coordinated two video shoots:
- Local all-day shoot of certified nursing assistants, including coordinating with multiple staffing agencies, sourcing video personnel, and conducting the interviews.
- Out-of-state all-day shoot of certified nursing assistants and other staff, including coordinating with facility leadership, sourcing video personnel, arranging travel, and conducting the interviews.
Senior Content Manager
Oracle Bronto | Durham, N.C.
Oct. 2018 to April 2019
Managed lead generation content from conception to publication that reinforced value props, enhanced brand recognition, and grew SEO ranking
• Oversaw writing and editing of all lead generation assets, including newsletters, white papers, blog posts, customer success stories, emails (nurture series, event promotion, sales campaigns, etc.) and social ads (LinkedIn InMail, Google Display, etc.).
• Led execution of content strategy for multiple lead generation campaigns.
• Managed multiple content calendars to ensure organization and execution of marketing assets.
• Collaborated with multiple departments, including sales, product, and engineering, to ensure content is in-line with company messaging and strategy.
• Managed external vendors to ensure creative is on message and deadlines are met.
• Wrote SEO optimized blog posts to increase website traffic.
• Mentored three direct reports to ensure written, video, and social content matches with organization messaging and strategy.
Senior Digital Producer
10News WTSP | St. Petersburg, Fla.
July 2017 to Aug. 2018
Improved team workflow, increased collaboration between departments and enhanced quality of online content
• Conceptualized and launched daily e-newsletter to build viewer loyalty.
• Created and launched #sendto10 campaign to increase viewer submitted content. Efforts include collaborating with multiple departments to create a promotions strategy for broadcast and social media.
• Co-authored strategy to increase newsroom social media engagement. Effort increased participation and drove traffic to station’s monetized digital properties.
• Created video content strategy focused on utilizing original digital-only franchises to increase social engagement and website traffic.
• Revived station’s YouTube account. Efforts resulted in more than 500 percent increase in subscribers within six months.
• Shot photos from the region’s biggest events:
• Created original digital-only packages:
Designed posters that increased station’s social media engagement:
• Increased urgency in breaking news with the goal of getting confirmed information online in five minutes or less.
• Enhanced quality of digital and social content by increasing communication between digital team and reporters.
• Digital project manager for major event coverage, including the NHL playoffs.
Digital Content Director
WINK News | Fort Myers, Fla.
July 2015 to July 2017
Created and executed multi-faceted digital strategies catapulting station to digital and social media dominance
• Grew station into dominant social media leader through strategic and creative use of content, emphasizing to staff the importance of responding to social comments, increasing reporter and anchor use of social media, and enhancing how posts are written.
• Started station’s Instagram account, which grew to over 12,000 followers in less than a year and became market’s top news account.
• Created station’s social media policy outlining standards, best practices, and tips for success.
• Created SOP guide outlining team expectations, strategies, and best practices.
• Created daily video packages from the 2016 Democratic and Republican national conventions:
• Created daily photo galleries from the 2016 Democratic and Republican national conventions:
• Redesigned station’s mobile app and website, which was ‘Best Website’ finalist from the Florida AP Broadcasters. Overall page views increased 84 percent and users grew 88 percent after redesign.
• Enhanced online story presentation, from creating breaking news timeline format to incorporating social media posts, documents and photo galleries into stories.
• Hired and molded four direct reports into viable online journalists through mentoring, one-on-one instruction, and setting high expectations.
• Fostered a collaborative newsroom culture where reporters and producers regularly communicated with the digital team and digital was integrated into all station initiatives.
Night Web Editor/Online Multimedia Journalist
WRAL News | Raleigh, N.C.
Dec. 2013 to July 2015
Managed and created digital content during evening primetime hours for one of the nation’s top local television news websites
• Managed and created web and social media content, including updating and writing stories and blogs, posting video and pictures, writing headlines, deciding homepage story placement, and posting to station’s social media accounts under little supervision.
• Created in-depth, creative text and multimedia stories to drive website traffic:
• Worked closely with television reporters, producers and assignment editors to share information, determine story content, and coordinate television promotion of digital stories.
Director of Communications
Parents for Educational Freedom in North Carolina | Raleigh, N.C.
Feb. 2011 to Dec. 2013
Created and executed communications and marketing strategies galvanizing community and legislative support for parental school choice. Efforts not only grew organization in a national education leader, but were critical in the passage of multiple pieces of historic education legislation
• Created and executed communications strategies that included press releases, video, and earned media coverage for organization events across the state. Also ghostwrote op-eds and letters to the editor for organization president, legislators, and community leaders.
• Kept organization in daily news cycle by creating media opportunities for organization president to speak on subject-related matters.
• Prepped organization president for media opportunities by creating talking points and reviewing anticipated questions.
• Wrote and co-researched a first-of-its-kind report analyzing private school tuition across the state. Document was influential in the passage of North Carolina’s first opportunity scholarship program.
• Designed and launched weekly e-newsletter to keep parents, supporters, legislators, and media informed of organization’s efforts.
• Efforts resulted in over 1,100 earned media mentions in print, television, and radio nationwide.
• Created a video, which was compared to a major movie, that was key in organization’s successful efforts to eliminate North Carolina’s public charter school cap:
• Created and produced organization’s Parent Stories video series, which featured parents sharing their parental school choice experiences or explaining their desire for such.
• Wrote radio scripts and designed newspaper advertisements.
• Shot photos that were prominently featured in national publications highlighting parental school choice efforts, including one used as a cover photo.
• Mentored communications associate.
• Advised legislators and community leaders on how to respond to media requests.
• Trained staff and volunteers on how to respond to community questions.
• Streamlined how organization responded to media inquiries.
Director of Communications
Iota Phi Theta Fraternity, Inc. | Baltimore, Md.
Sept. 2009 to June 2012
Created communications department for international non-profit organization and was Editor-in-Chief of organization magazine
• Oversaw crisis communications of incident that received national coverage. Efforts mitigated negative press.
• Designed and launched Beyond the Shield monthly e-newsletter to keep members informed of organization’s efforts.
• Established fraternity’s official social media channels.
• Advised organization leaders on best responses to various internal and external situations.
• Redesigned fraternity’s Centaur Magazine to modern publication standards, including creating a style guide, enhancing quality of submitted materials, and increasing publication to 50+ pages.
The News & Observer | Raleigh, N.C.
March 2005 to Nov. 2010
Wrote briefs, news and feature stories about crime and education in one of North Carolina’s largest cities
• Reported in-depth stories, including two police officers’ illegal interactions with a prostitute, a police department wasting money on a neighborhood surveillance program, and how public school cafeterias contradicted their purpose by increasing junk food sales to stay afloat.
• Developed strong relationships with local police department known for being anti-media.
• Complemented by readers and sources for detailed and accurate journalism.
• Blogged local news happenings and sent online breaking news updates.
• Pictures often used as main photo for paper’s Durham section.
• Handled multiple news assignments simultaneously and always met deadlines.
The Daily Reflector | Greenville, N.C.
May 2003 to March 2005
Wrote briefs, news and feature stories focusing on crime in rural North Carolina
• Earned two first place awards for a story about a homicide and how it impacted the families of the victim and suspect.
• Wrote in-depth pieces about domestic violence in the black community and the small town police beat.